Kids walking home from the lakes pass by grandpas playing horseshoes at this safe city park.. History St. Louis' third largest city park--behind Forest Park and Tower Grove--180-acre Carondelet Park is a real find. Purchased in 1875 and dedicated in 1876, the park was created in response to south St. Louisans' concerns that Forest Park would be too far away for them to use.
Facilities The majority of the park's three softball fields, one baseball field, three soccer fields and five tennis courts are lighted, which speaks to both the safety and usefulness of Carondelet Park. It's rare to find any of the fields or courts unoccupied. The watchful eyes of the players at the 10 horseshoe pits contributes to a general feeling that Carondelet, despite its size, is really just a little neighborhood park.
You can't talk about this park without mentioning the two lakes, both stocked with fish, and the boathouse, completed in 1908. The lovely picnic areas and barbecue grills see a lot of traffic as well. And the park's bicycle path, built in 1980, connects to the Holly Hills bike path, for those looking to extend their city ride.